[unisog] Dell BIOS updates and non-"Dell" operating systems

Bob Johnson bob89 at eng.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 1 21:36:40 GMT 2005

On Friday 28 October 2005 06:28 pm, STeve Andre' wrote:

> One slightly nuts way around this is to keep a Windows 20G
> disk on hand and stuff it into Dells that need upgrades, which
> is a pain but doable.  Still, you shouldn't have to.

On my latest pair of Dell servers with FreeBSD (PE 1800s), I reserved a
small partition (3 GB, I think) for Windows XP just for this purpose (i.e.
a dual-boot system).  When I tried to install Windows XP (before FreeBSD),
the installer bluescreened very early.  The systems are working fine with
FreeBSD, though.

I haven't checked for a bios update yet, but Dell clearly expects me to
install either Windows Server 2003, or their Linux, and apparently didn't
even bother to test other versions of Windows.

- Bob

  Bob Johnson            Senior Systems Programmer
  bob89 at eng.ufl.edu      College of Engineering
                         340-A Weil Hall
  352-392-9217 Office    University of Florida
  352-392-7063 Fax       Gainesville, FL  32611