[unisog] network camera security/authentication

Donal Lynch donal at yorku.ca
Wed Nov 9 17:26:35 GMT 2005

We use netbotz (http://www.netbotz.com) for security and environment
monitoring, if you purchase the "netbot central" it comes with "improved
LDAP compatability with MS Active Directory servers", but we've never
tried it.  IMHO most of the reasonably priced IP based cameras do not seem
to have really been designed with security in mind.  The only real
solution I can think of is to put all of these kinds of things behind
something that provides real security - ie: some sort of VPN/Firewall
device that does support standards based authentication that comes from a
reliable "vendor" where you know you'll find out if there are security
vulnerabilities/patches.  My big worry with a lot of these kinds of
devices (especially the ones that run embedded servers) is that I'm not
sure I trust the vendors to promptly release security patches (assuming
the devices are even patchable).

       Donal

-----
Donal Lynch
Asst. Manager, CNS Network Operations, York University
email: donal at yorku.ca   voice: 416.736.2100 x20282