[unisog] Network Acces systems?

Simon Kissler Simon.Kissler at valpo.edu
Sat Nov 19 19:47:35 GMT 2005

Matt,

we've just deployed Cisco Clean Access at the beginning of this semester
and are overall very satisfied with it. It has a small number of
(to-be-expected in any new implementation) quirks that we had to iron
out, but we have been mostly quite impressed with the product. We _are_
a Cisco shop (not exclusively, but we have about 40% Cisco elements in
our network).

The implementation has cut down on the number of ill-maintained machines
and with it the resulting service calls for virus infection and other
related security incidents. It has also uncovered how few people were
heeding our policy to keep their systems updated. This was our primary
aim in investing in CCA. We have found that with its implementation we
have also gained a better view of usage patterns on our network and are
using that information now for strategic planning as well as short-term
resource allocation.

One thing that has been impressive in our experience has been the
responsiveness and quality of answers received from Cisco's support team
for this product as well as the usefulness of the user community through
the mailing list already mentioned.

-Simon