[unisog] Network Access systems?

Eric Weakland eric at american.edu
Sun Nov 20 15:12:47 GMT 2005

Matt,

We purchased Perfigo right around the time they were acquired by Cisco and
aside from having to deal with disappointing implementation assistance,
support (at first) and some fits and niggles with Antivirus vendor support
- we are very pleased.  Here's how we decided and to quote one of my
professors - "apply prescriptively according to your situation."   Or if
you prefer - "don't crack a walnut with a 10 pound sledge hammer."  A lot
of these steps just involved getting together with the team and a
whiteboard.  Start early.  We started Dec. 04, finished Resnet
implementation in Aug. 05.  Still working on the rest of the campus.

Get strong support from as high up as you can.  We had a  mandate from the
CIO.  (Unfortunately he and the university parted ways half way through
the project, but I just chose to ignore that!)

Come up with the requirements (what you have to have) and use cases (user
experience) for how you are going to use the solution.  Really work out
what you want to accomplish on a computer (checks, scans, what types of
users, how will you treat different OS'es, how often, what authentication
base do you want to use, etc.) Think about what the staff burden will be
too. (training, administration,documentation - more on this later)

Then consider deployment model.  Is all the endpoint traffic going through
the box or does it just manipulate the endpoint/port  - making this
decision can involve looking at the capacity of your uplinks, reliability
and redundancy. (This took some real thinking about how traffic moved at a
layer 2 level in our environment.)  Decide which you prefer.

Take a fresh look at the market landscape.  We made a conscious effort to
not only look at commercial systems, but also at modifying our existing
home-brew system (a layer 3 registration system) or building a new system
using open source building blocks.  Compare each option against your use
cases and preferred deployment model.  We did a matrix that showed which
"could," "could not" or "not sure" for each of our requirements.  It was
around this time that we also started figuring out how much each of the
possible solutions would cost.  Lists like this one are invaluable when
doing research, but you know that already.

Consider the risks posed by each of your choices.  (Failure Mode and
Effects Analysis can be fun to use here!)  How can you reduce risk?  How
much will it cost to reduce the risk?  Think about how you will justify
your choices.  (especially important if you are having to fight for
funding and/or expect to meet resistance.)  Think about futures - how will
this work with what we are thinking about doing in a year?

If we have time we like to do bake-offs at this point, but we didn't  have
time with Perfigo/CCA. We just did a demo/test deployment and verified
that we could accomplish our use cases.  Some things didn't work "as
promised/implied" - like web AUP acceptance that didn't care if you
clicked "Accept" or not!

At this point we had Perfigo/Cisco and one other vendor at the top.   The
facts that we were a Cisco shop, that Cisco promised that an out of band
deployment model would be possible on much of our hardware in the future
and their assurance that we would have no interoperability problems with
VOIP made it our obvious choice.

 Finally - what I didn't do that I wish I had.

        1.  Document the need and ask for more staff/adjusted duties from
the beginning.  My team was already over-worked and the time to properly
administer a CCA deployment is not insignificant if you do it properly.  I
should have had a firmer commitment for at least another FTE at an earlier
point.

        2.  Start thinking about what other systems you will need to
integrate with early.  We are in good shape on this - but I should have
done an information flow diagram after the requirements step above.  This
doesn't have to be complicated, just map out what information you need
shipped off to and brought in from what systems.  Help desk tracking
systems, data warehouses, network management systems, LOGS, reports and
graphs.  Brainstorm on this one - it can really pay off.

        3.  Do more propaganda.  Fighting rumors and getting accurate
information out is important.  I would have bought more pizza, given away
ipod shuffles and done demos to students before they left in the spring.

These are my opinions, not American University's.  Hope this helps.

Eric Weakland, CISSP
Director, Network Security
Office of Information Technology
American University
eric at american.edu
202.885.2241

You wrote:
Hi

We're in the process of researching our options as far as Network Access
systems go. Specifically, products like Bradford Campus Manager,
StillSecure, Sygate, Cisco CleanAccess (although we're not a cisco shop,
so
probably not) or other varations.

We're looking for a system that can clean/scrub/quarantine bad machines
and
do such a check on a regular basis. If it could be coupled with some form
of
authentication, that would be bonus.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these
products on their campus, and if so, what have been the results so far.

Thanks,

Matt Ashfield
mda at unb.ca