[unisog] Auto AV Notification ( was Re: New virus)

Paul Russell prussell at nd.edu
Thu Nov 24 13:42:16 GMT 2005

On 11/23/2005 23:34, Bill Martin wrote:
> As a result of these little buggers, and their spoofing of the sender, we
 > receive thousands of notifications that mail to xxx failed to deliver...
 > or the mail you sent contains a virus.. etc...

We received a complaint yesterday from an individual who had received a virus
carrier message with a bogus sender address in our domain. The recipient's
mail server had performed sender verification, so the headers included the
results showing that the sender address did not exist. But we got the
complaint anyway.

> Is there really any point in this?  Think about it, replying to these is
 > usually pointless.  The people that these bounce back to usually did not
 > send the initial the e-mail... sending notifications creates more work for
 > everyone and their SMTP gateways and mail systems, etc...
>
> So, I simply would like to ask if auto notifications are really needed?
 > If not, please, PLEASE shut the blasted things off.... the solution is
 > creating almost as much of a problem as the problem itself IMHO . . .

Anyone with enough clue to be on this list probably has enough clue to have
already disabled virus alerts to almost-certainly-forged sender addresses.
In other words, you are preaching to the choir.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator