[unisog] Forcing Automatic Updates via Login Script

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Sat Nov 26 17:18:18 GMT 2005

Based on popular demand, here is a quick guide to setup a login script
to configure automatic updates.

BTW: I apologize for taking so long to get back to some of you; I was
busy stuffing my face with turkey...

There are a few ways to do this, but this is the easiest way I found.
Note, this process is best for organizations running Novell, NT 4, or
Samaba, since if you have computers logging into an Active Directory,
you can do the same by domain based GPOs.

1. On any Windows XP Pro computer, load the local GPO. (Start | Run |
gpedit.msc)
2. Navigate to Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates |
Windows Components | Windows Update.
3. You will see a bunch of setting, configure them to your liking and
close
4. Open regedit (start | run | regedit) and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate and
export the entire WindowsUpdate folder.
5. Put the .reg file somewhere accessible to the login script.
6. In your login script specify the following command regedit -s
PATHTOREGFILE/REGFILE.reg.  So if the .reg file is located at
//server1/share1/update.reg the command would be:
regedit -s //server1/share1/update.reg
Note, the -s option is there so your users don't get prompted "are you
sure you want to install these registry entries" every time they login.

Regards,
Adam Stasiniewicz
Computer and Communication Services Department
Milwaukee School of Engineering