[unisog] Wiping hard drives before computer transfer

Bradley Ellis Bradley.Ellis at its.monash.edu.au
Mon Nov 28 01:48:56 GMT 2005

Hi,

In a lot of ways, I like to make life simple - So when disposing
of failed disks the following come to mind:

	Is the drive still working ?
		- Disk wiping can be used easily.

	Does the drive contain really confidential stuff ?
		- consider physical disk destruction.

	How much does wiping vs destruction and replacement cost ?
	Taking into consideration people's time, certification
	efforts that the data has been removed, etc.

In many cases - replacing the $AU80 hdd with another and
physically destorying the old disk with a destruction service
is cheaper overall than the efforts to the wipd disk to any
reasonable degree.

This to me simplifies the whole process and saves having to
worry about:

	* Encoding format as different formats may need different
	  input streams for optimal erasure.

	* Off track data leakage - the data stored in the areas a
	little either side of the track. (Disk heads are accurate,
	but there is nearly always so off track data leakage.

	* Potential Recovery due to partial overwrites.

Sure Disk erasure commands that are part of proposal's where
the drive electronics can perform an erase the disk in a couple
of modes are interesting and may offer some benefits.

But even when (if) this becomes main stream, I stil like the
idea of keeping things simple from a daily operations point of view.

The forensics discussions are fun, but I wouldn't want to have
them everyday.

Regards,
Brad.