[unisog] Your opinion on your AntiVirus product?

Bartlett, Matt mbartlett at stlcop.edu
Mon Nov 28 14:57:42 GMT 2005

I am on the hunt for opinions of corporate anti-virus products used at
other universities.  What do you use?  Are you satisfied with it?  What
do you find are it's strengths and weaknesses?  Has it presented you
with any unique challenges, or does it have features that provided you
with an unexpected dividend?  Do you have any problems with your mobile
users who may not connect to your network frequently enough?

We are looking to replace our current Trend Micro product suite, which
is why I'm soliciting your opinions.

Here is my opinion on Trend.
The client agent is too resource intensive, using 5 processes totaling
approx. 25MB of system memory when idle.  It has been unable to detect
several variants of IRCBot viruses.  It does have a nice variety of
tools for tasks like deployment and imaging.  The real killer for us has
been the dissatisfaction with the support provided by Trend.

I'd value anyone's input.

Thanks,
Matt Bartlett
St. Louis College of Pharmacy