[unisog] Your opinion on your AntiVirus product?

Mike Stark mstark at ucsd.edu
Mon Nov 28 17:35:20 GMT 2005

    We as a default use Sophos on almost all our mail gateways with a
few small servers who take mail directly, opting for products like
Symantec.

  Again on the desktop we offer Sophos as a default with some using
Symantec and at a smaller volume, McAfee. A few departments or
research groups use NOD-32, CA, AVG, and other solutions.

   All our systems have to have a current anti-virus as part of our
minimum standard to be on our network. Version 5.x of Sophos for
windows is not quite as robust as their 3.x family of anti-virals
yet. (For instance on windows XP/Pro X64 version Sophos 5.x crashes
attempting to install, but 3.99 mostly works like Symantec 10 mostly
works). But Sophos covers all the platforms we have running including
things like VMS and AIX in addition to the common Solaris, Windows,
Macintosh, Macos X, Novell, and Linux variations.

   By and large as an organization, Sophos meets most of our needs
with minimal pain and about the same frequency of failures to detect
as our volume license users of our McAfee and Symantec agreements
see. None is perfect of the three, with each miss on detection or
operational glitch causing a comment that one of the other vendors
must be better....

Mike