[unisog] Wiping hard drives before computer transfer

Allen Mundt allenatwork at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 29 13:53:40 GMT 2005

We use a professional grade degausser.  Not perfect, but fairly fast and
very functional.

If money is an issue, an IS manager at a hospital had an interesting
approach.  He took the 5 gallon pails that kitty litter comes in, and bought
a bag of rock salt.  He kept drives secured until he had a dozen or so.
Then he drilled a number of holes in the drive casing, both on the end where
the controller is, and in the media shell itself.  He would place about 2
inches of salt in the bottom of the pail, and then fill it with water,
covering the drives.  He then sealed the lid back on, and marked the date.
In 6 months, he removed the drives, smashed them a few times with a hammer,
and that was that.

You might also be encouraged by the newer generation of drives that we are
seeing.  The platter material itself is a metallic substrate over some kind
of glass.  They work just as well, but when you smash them, they break up
like a kitchen tumbler on a cement floor.

Allen

Allen Mundt

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done
     without hope and confidence."
        -- Helen Keller (1880-1968) American Writer