[unisog] SANS Stay Sharp, Computer and Network Security Awareness

Paul Asadoorian Paul_Asadoorian at brown.edu
Tue Nov 29 14:09:37 GMT 2005

Dear Colleagues,

My name is Paul Asadoorian and I've been asked to teach SANS Stay Sharp
Computer and Network Security Awareness course in North Kingstown, RI on
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM. This is a brand new
Stay Sharp course created to help educate everyone about computer
security and I am proud to help bring this course to the Rhode Island area.

For the course location, a complete course description and registration
instructions, go to: http://www.sans.org/staysharp/details.php?id=1298

SANS is known as being an outstanding source of technical security
related training. The SANS Stay Sharp program represents new and
exciting opportunities, because now everyone can take advantage of the
training expertise offered by SANS! If you use a computer connected to
the Internet, you should sign up for this course to raise your awareness
and learn how to protect your personal information.

I was happy to help offer these courses in this area and jumped at the
opportunity to give back to the community. I firmly believe that the
best way to help create a secure computing environment is through
education. The content of this course is not overly technical and is
meant for the beginner user, so I am encouraging everyone to attend
(Friends, Family, Small Office Users, Students, etc.)

I am currently employed by a University, where I provide critical
security functions in addition to teaching and training employees,
faculty, and staff about computer security. I am also active in the
computer security community, publishing articles and consulting for
local companies. I am looking forward to sharing my experiences and
advice with you. Below are some examples of who can take advantage of
this training and why I believe it is important for everyone:

- Individuals that have Broadband Internet Access - This has become a
widespread and popular way to gain Internet access.  If you have an
"always on" Internet connection the risk is constant, unlike dial-up
where connection times were much less.

- Parents with kids that use the Internet - The worst support call
always starts with, "My child was using the computer, and."  Children
tend to be more daring when using a computer, clicking on things right
away, which can lead to serious security problems.

- eBay and Online Shoppers - eBay is the target of numerous attacks and
scams, learn how to protect yourself against these threats. Further,
conducting transactions over the Internet is Scary; learn how to
identify shady web sites and protect your credit card online.

 - Telecommuters - Attackers will usually target telecommuters as a way
to hack in to the corporate network, banking on the fact that your
computer may not be secured.

  - Wireless Internet Users - As wireless becomes more popular, so do
attacks against its use.  Wireless networks pose enormous risk to your
computer and data due to their open nature (even if you are just using a
wireless network! In a coffee shop!).  Learn about these risks and how
to mitigate them.

Does this sound like the kind of training that would help you gain
awareness and knowledge to feel safer on the Internet?  Then register
today and see for yourself the excellent value of Stay Sharp training
and GIAC certification!

To register, go to
http://www.sans.org/registration/register.php?conferenceid=1298

If you have any questions, please send your email to staysharp at sans.org.

Paul Asadoorian
Stay Sharp Instructor
Stay Sharp Computer and Network Security Awareness