[unisog] Anti-virus/Anti-spam appliances

Scott Spyrison sspyrison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:19:19 GMT 2005

Ben Beuchler wrote:
> Not five minutes ago one of the admins leaned into my office to tell me
> how much our Barracuda rocks.
>
> Inexpensive, extremely effective, and integrates seamlessly with our LDAP
> backend.
>
> -Ben

National-Louis University also went with Barracuda.  Their pricing was
hands down the best... extremely competitive.  The flip-side of that is
their business has increased dramatically, and they are struggling to
keep up with support.  All the other appliances/solutions we looked at
were nice as well, but nobody could even come close to the Barracuda's
pricing.

Their appliances are based on SpamAssassin and ClamAV, and they come
with a web-based configuration and management interface.  Depending on
the units you get, they support settings at the global, domain and user
level...  even to the point of having individual user quarantines if you
so desire.  Supports ldap and ldaps for user verification.  We're
running against both AD and Sun Directory over 4 domains (2 production
and 2 test) with no problems.

We have 2 units in what the vendor calls an A/A cluster configuration,
which really only amounts to replication of settings between the units.
Load balancing is your responsibility.  Mail logs and individual user
accounts (if present) are also replicated, although they are still
working out some bugs in their cluster/replication processes with
respect to things like user-level bayesian databases.

hth...

--
Best Regards,

Scott Spyrison * Unix Systems Administrator / National Louis University
* SunGard * Collegis * 1000 Capitol Dr. Wheeling IL 60090 * Tel
847-947-5075 * Fax 847-465-5920 * sspyrison at nl.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,