[unisog] Syslog tips (was: Re: OSS monitoring

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Oct 3 16:18:19 GMT 2005

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:05:50 EDT, "J. Oquendo" said:

> Why not just use gzgrep and alleviate program|piped to|program bulkiness

At least on my Linux box (Fedora Core 4):

a) there's no gzgrep - zgrep (for gzip format) and bzgrep (for bzip2 format) do
exist. I'm assuming you meant bzgrep, as the original poster had a *.bz2 file.

b) zgrep and bzgrep are shell scripts, so although you eliminate the wordiness
in the command line, you still end up with a pipe of multiple processes, which
might matter performance-wise for some environments....