[unisog] eDonkey DMCA complaints

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Tue Oct 4 12:59:04 GMT 2005

> Some of you may recall there were some erroneous DMCA complaints around
> December/January, all apparently involving eDonkey.  Call this a heads-up,
> but it appears this problem is back.  I've seen three complaints in the past
> two weeks, all of which involved IP addresses that had not generated traffic
> in several months; I have enough network monitoring to be pretty confident
> about this fact.

Question :

what's the consensus on how to respond to these? .. just answer back
that "after reviewing my logs, this IP did not generate any traffic at
the stated date/time"?

One presumes they use the same flawed testing methods to generate their
lawsuits .. anyone had a subpoena involving a bogus IP?

I've investigated these pretty thoroughly on a number of occasions, and
concluded that they [the RIAA, et.al.] never actually try to connect to
the workstation in question -- they must be relying on the directory
nodes for their information.

That makes me wonder how they can assume the "alleged infringing
content" actually exists on the workstation they mention. While I'd
never wish their dogs try and bite any of our students, I'd be the first
to volunteer as a witness for the defense about that.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University