[unisog] eDonkey DMCA complaints

Kevin Schmidt kps at ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 4 19:07:26 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 08:53 am, Mike Iglesias wrote:
> > Yes, the common elements in the erroneous complaints are the eDonkey
> > protocol and MediaSentry as the sending party.  The complaints have been
> > on behalf of two different copyright holders.  I'm aware of another bogus
> > complaint to a different UC campus, too.
>
> Ours was from "ESADMCAEnforcement <dmca at theesa.com>" not MediaSentry, but
> it was for eDonkey and the IP was a router on campus.

If you check the email headers, you should find that it was sent by
MediaSentry.  As a contractor, MediaSentry sends the messages on behalf of --
and usually using the name of -- their client company.  The three complaints
I mentioned were sent using email addresses and boilerplate text for Warner
Bros. and ESA, but the headers show they originated from MediaSentry.

--
Kevin Schmidt
Office of Information Technology
kps at ucsb.edu