[unisog] AOL and forwarding

David R. Linn drl at vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Oct 7 16:01:01 GMT 2005

>> What are other colleges doing about AOL?

Fretting.

>> Or do we forward much more mail to AOL than most places?  One reason we
>> might is that we run an alumni forwarding service on the main mail system.
>> Alumni get as much spam as anybody but it's not balanced by much mail
>> from our own users, so their percent must be pretty high.

I no longer work with the folks who manage the email service for the
top-level Vanderbilt domain but I have seen exactly the problem you
describe at my subdomain level.  Another cause of the problem is that
AOL addresses are often shared by multiple family members and one member
of a family will classify as spam a message that was specifically
requested by a different member of the family.

I believe that you have outlined a perfect argument for Columbia offering
your "courtesy" service for alumni from a different set of servers than
your "day-to-day business" service for your current population.

Is your email address space carved up so that this is easy to do?
More precisely, are your alumni addresses in a different (sub)domain
than your "current population" addresses?  As an example, Vanderbilt
uses a subdomain for our courtesy "email for life" addresses for
the alumni.

David R. Linn, SEDCON System Manager       |INET: drl at vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Vanderbilt University School of Engineering|Phone: [+1] 615-343-6164
2301 Vanderbilt Place, Box B-351826        |Disclaimer: I have no authority
Nashville, TN, USA  37235-1826             |to speak for anyone but myself.
		http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~drl