[unisog] AOL and forwarding

Paul Russell prussell at nd.edu
Fri Oct 7 21:41:19 GMT 2005

On 10/7/2005 13:08, Joseph Brennan wrote:

>> What do you do with the SComp reports? Do you stop forwarding for that
>> individual? I would have thought that was the first thing to try. Isn't
>> forwarding rather less important than direct email?
>
> We can't tell which user it is.  AOL removes that information.

An SComp report is sent when the AOL user clicks the 'report as spam' button,
so if you get several SComp reports at the same time, they may have been
submitted by the same AOL user. Find the common local recipient, and you
may have found the source of the complaints. If you are receiving a large
number of complaints, this may not be feasible.

The SComp report contains a complete copy of the original message, including
full headers, with the AOL user's address redacted from the headers. If the
original message was addressed to a single recipient, the 'Received' header
inserted by your mail server should contain a 'for' clause that identifies
the local recipient whose mail was forwarded to AOL. If the original message
was addressed to multiple recipients, there will be no 'for' clause in the
'Received' header inserted by your mail server, but you may be able to
narrow the field from 'everyone' to a more manageable list by searching the
mail server logs for the SMTP id that appears in the 'Received' header.

If messages posted to local lists comprise a significant portion of the
complaints, you may want to consider configuring those lists to send a
separate message to each subscriber. Obviously, this will increase mail
server overhead, but it may make it easier to use the message headers to
identify the individuals who are submitting these complaints.

If the complaints involve spam which came from your network, but did not pass
through your central mail server, you may want to consider blocking outbound
port 25 traffic at the network border. When we did this, we granted exceptions
for known departmental mail servers. This single measure reduced the volume of
incoming Scomp reports by at least 90 percent.

If you suspect that alumni accounts are a major source of SComp complaints,
you may want to consider routing alumni mail through a separate server that
is used for no other purpose. If you use LDAP for mail routing and alumni
accounts are identified as such in the LDAP directory, you should be able
to implement this without creating a separate sub-domain for alumni mail.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator