[unisog] DHCP Address Reuse Questions

Sean Kelly smkelly at rooster.creighton.edu
Wed Oct 12 18:49:24 GMT 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 11:56:17AM -0400, Gary Flynn wrote:
> We're using the ISC server with a one day lease time.
>
> Does anyone have any operational data or statistics
> or could point me to such information that shows how
> often and under what circumstances a client would get
> a different address when their lease has expired?

Are you using the failover features? I've seen some cases of turnover due
to failover wackiness and MCLT. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of
failover, but that is a different and long story.

> Is there anything we can do in the ISC configuration
> that can better encourage resuse?

Not really. ISC DHCPd will always try to reassign the same IP whenever
possible.

--
Sean M. Kelly
Unix Systems Architect