[unisog] zotob variant?

Jim Dillon Jim.Dillon at cusys.edu
Thu Oct 13 17:31:28 GMT 2005

I saw a demonstration from a non-signature based intrusion detection
vendor just a couple weeks ago where they modified known trojans, worms,
etc., with a freeware download, by hex editing or applying automatic
"compression" algorithms to the malware, and out pops an undetectable,
working attack, all using nice Windows GUI freeware tools.  Attach the
newly undetectable "Old" Trojan to a spreadsheet, send it through the
firewall and the signature based tools don't catch it.  It took just a
few minutes to execute the demo and very real, very nasty stuff got
through just fine.  Of course the kicker was that their behavioral based
detection engines caught the changes where signature based didn't - good
sales demo, I was sold, concept wise at least.

Anyway, the opportunity to see something new (a variant) is 5 minutes
and a couple of pieces of freeware away.  I can't imagine that we aren't
all succumbing to this type of attack far more than we think.  This
vendor claimed their tool was catching 99% of the attempts they lobbed
at it - this appears a bit more scalable than signature based tools.

Jim

Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP
IT Audit Manager, CU Internal Audit
jim.dillon at cusys.edu