[unisog] Public or Private IP addresses?

Scott Genung sagenung at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 14 02:49:08 GMT 2005

Cosmin,

At 05:43 PM 10/13/2005, Stejerean, Cosmin wrote:
>I am wondering how the network is setup at other universities and what
>people on the list think about advantages and disadvantages of picking one
>over the other.

We have used private address space at Illinois State for a number of years.
About 12K addresses we have in use today reside in 10. addressing. There
are over 17K devices that currently connect to our campus network.

We have a class B address space and migrated to private addressing many
years ago (mid to late 90's) initially to support our migration from token
ring to switched ethernet technologies. Today, we use it within our client
side networks (residence halls, wireless, public jacks, etc).

Using this model, we perform address translation at the edge of our network
within the WAN. We use our public address space to support systems that
need public addressability such as web and email servers and then reserve
about 50 /24 subnets for address translation using NAT (a single public IP
address is dynamically mapped to a single private address if an off-campus
connection is established).

Initially used to augment our public address space, we found that using
private addressing greatly simplified our perimeter firewall policies. If
the on-campus source address resides in private address space (ie: 10.), we
use policy routing to direct this traffic to a firewall. If the source
resides within public address space, this traffic bypasses the perimeter
firewalls. Inbound traffic is directed to the firewalls based upon the
translated address space. All traffic directed to translated addresses are
inspected for state and then block traffic for which no state exists. This
has been a very effective approach to blocking external reconnaissance
activities.

We also use the 172.16. address space for systems that need to reside in
private address space for which we do not want NAT. This address space is
used by systems that do not need to be reached from off-campus (without a
VPN client).

At this point, the only application that we've encountered problems with
private addressing has been video conferencing. In this case, we have been
testing a gateway product that advertises a single public IP address. To
dial inbound to campus to one of these endpoints, you would dial the public
address associated with the gateway along with an h.164 extension. We have
not had problems with video conferencing applications originating from an
h.323 endpoint residing in private address space.

>Regards,
>
>Cosmin Stejerean

Scott Genung
Manager of Networking Systems