[unisog] Network Access Control

Eric Weakland eric at american.edu
Mon Oct 17 16:12:19 GMT 2005

I am interested in learning how many other schools are using Cisco Clean
Access product to require a  minimum level of standards for virus
protection, antispyware, OS and application patches/updates?  How many are
using another product?

I am hoping to pull together some quick facts to inform one of our faculty
governing bodies, who believes that other large universities are not
requiring such security standards on their networks.

At American University, we implemented CCA within our residence halls this
Fall.  Already, we have seen dramatic results; virus and spyware
infections have dropped by 40% campuswide.  We plan to roll out CCA to our
faculty and staff within 2006, but are getting some resistance from
faculty.

Your information will help to educate them, that we are all facing similar
challenges.  Thank you, and I am happy to share my results of this quick
survey.

Eric Weakland, CISSP
Director, Network Security
Office of Information Technology (IT)