[unisog] Network Access Control

Jason Richardson A00JER2 at wpo.cso.niu.edu
Mon Oct 17 20:42:20 GMT 2005

We're running Cisco Clean Access on a network supporting an undergrad
student population of 25,000 and I know that many other schools are
running Cisco or something similar.  We have seen similar dramatic
positive results.

---
Jason Richardson
Manager, IT Security and Client Development
Enterprise Systems Support
Northern Illinois University

>>> eric at american.edu 10/17/2005 11:12 AM >>>
I am interested in learning how many other schools are using Cisco
Clean
Access product to require a  minimum level of standards for virus
protection, antispyware, OS and application patches/updates?  How many
are
using another product?

I am hoping to pull together some quick facts to inform one of our
faculty
governing bodies, who believes that other large universities are not
requiring such security standards on their networks.

At American University, we implemented CCA within our residence halls
this
Fall.  Already, we have seen dramatic results; virus and spyware
infections have dropped by 40% campuswide.  We plan to roll out CCA to
our
faculty and staff within 2006, but are getting some resistance from
faculty.

Your information will help to educate them, that we are all facing
similar
challenges.  Thank you, and I am happy to share my results of this
quick
survey.

Eric Weakland, CISSP
Director, Network Security