[unisog] anyone else seeing lots of popup spam/malware?

John York YorkJ at brcc.edu
Wed Oct 26 19:07:06 GMT 2005

We have 10 /24's inside a B block.  Sometime in August, our firewall
hits on ports 1026-30 jumped from 2-3000 per day to about 45,000.  The
Googling I did indicated it was probably the messenger popup spam.  The
addresses usually resolve to China, although I don't know that China is
the originator.  We also get at least 15,000 hits per day on 1433-4 that
usually resolve to China.  The background noise has gone way up
lately--overall, our daily firewall and router hits have gone from
60-70,000 per day in early August to almost 200,000 today.

Thanks
John