[unisog] friendly, secure web based file transfer applications

Pascal Meunier pmeunier at cerias.purdue.edu
Thu Sep 1 19:10:57 GMT 2005

On 8/30/05 4:22 PM, "Russell Fulton" <r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> We don't want to go the ssh/scp/sftp route because it will involve extra
> software on client machines which will be scattered all over the place.  There
> is also the issue of shell access etc.

Russell, we use scponly as the login shell for some systems at CERIAS.
There are free, easy-to-use sftp clients that work well with it for both
MacOS X (Fugu) and Windows (WinSCP) -- I tried and like them both.  We
chrooted scponly because we didn't want one user to even see that other
users existed, but it doesn't seem you need that so your setup should be
much simpler than ours.  The chroot setup of course gives us extra insurance
in case there's a bug in it, and because we're paranoid people ;).  We'll
release more details (incl. setup scripts) soon as documentation for the
project I'm leading.

Regards,
Pascal