[unisog] Consumer-grade networking in Residence Halls

Weidner, Steve sweidner at usd.edu
Thu Sep 1 19:48:22 GMT 2005

Although I'm confident that students have been bringing hubs, switches
and routers (and their wireless equivalents) to their dorm rooms for the
last few years, we are taking a more active stance this year in our
attempts to locate and remove such devices.

Hubs and switches are not trivial, but relatively easy to locate as we
can view the MAC-address tables in our Cisco switches and just look for
any access (non-trunk) port with two or more MAC addresses associated.
Unfortunately, the routers and wireless routers are more of a challenge.

What utilities and methods have others on this list used on their
campuses?

Thanks,
Steve Weidner
Network Analyst