[unisog] Consumer-grade networking in Residence Halls

McGuffin, Tim ucs_tim at exchange.shsu.edu
Thu Sep 1 20:17:22 GMT 2005

We allow them.

If they're running a NAT box, they're computer is a little more
protected from the worm-of-the-day that may be present in the residence
halls.  It'll also allow them to connect their game console, PC and
laptop at the same time through the single active port we give them.

They are notified through a netreg-style system that they're responisble
for all the traffic that passes through their port, and are disabled if
anything "bad" comes through it or happens.  They're also allowed their
own wireless AP, and are given instructions on how to secure them.  If
they don't secure them, they're still responsible for every packet that
originates from it...

We haven't had any problems since we've started working with the
students instead of against them on this issue.

--Tim