[unisog] Consumer-grade networking in Residence Halls

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Sep 1 20:29:09 GMT 2005

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:48:22 CDT, "Weidner, Steve" said:

> What utilities and methods have others on this list used on their
> campuses?

It's hard to know what utilities and methods to recommend until we know
what actual problem you're attempting to solve by dedicating resources
to tracking down these sorts of equipment.

For instance, hubs and switches *can* cause interesting effects if their
bridging tables get confoozled.  However, we don't bother trying to locate
them - we just configure *our* gear to lock onto MAC addresses.  You try to
use a second MAC or IP address on the port, it Just Doesn't Work unless you
wait at least 5 minutes for the previous ARP table entry to time out (yes,
I know there's arp-flooding techniques to bypass that.  That sort of miscreant
can't be handled by any Cisco gear, you need a Louisville Slugger. ;)