[unisog] Consumer-grade networking in Residence Halls

Chris Green cmgreen at uab.edu
Thu Sep 1 20:31:39 GMT 2005

On 9/1/05 2:48 PM, "Weidner, Steve" <sweidner at usd.edu> wrote:

> What utilities and methods have others on this list used on their
> campuses?

For all connections on campus, we limit each port to 1 mac address in use at
a time.  This halts the extending the network with a hub problem.

We have a in-house utility that dumps the IP and mac addresses off into our
network database so we can also tell when something is flapping between
multiple users.

For NAT devices, I've not heard of many problems from our networking group
but we know it happens now and then.  Sometimes we get a stink when we tell
user X that they can't just plug an AP into their network connection.

Our official policy is that network connections are for end computer
stations unauthorized network equipment is not allowed.
--
Chris Green
UAB Data Security, 5-0842