[unisog] Consumer-grade networking in Residence Halls

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Thu Sep 1 20:32:42 GMT 2005

 > What utilities and methods have others on this list used on their
 > campuses?

I personally have NetStumbler, Sniffer Wireless, and a few other tools
on a tablet PC. Then I wander the halls ... sniff and/or connect to
networks, figure out the IP, then trace it back via Ciscoworks.

They get shutoff until they call. Wireless is a no-no, espically since
the whole campus is wired with Cisco APs (dorms included).

I also have some high-powered 802.11 gear and a highly directional 24db
antenna. That, with a laptop running FreeBSD, can darn near nail it down
to a perticular window from across campus.

Regards,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University