[unisog] Consumer-grade networking in Residence Halls

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Sep 2 18:41:37 GMT 2005

Chris Green wrote:
> For NAT devices, I've not heard of many problems from our networking group
> but we know it happens now and then.  Sometimes we get a stink when we tell
> user X that they can't just plug an AP into their network connection.

We never noticed (much) until this fall.  We have had about a dozen cases of students running a cable from their wall jack to a LAN (not WAN) port on their router, and it starts serving up DHCP.  Even though we use CCA to break up resnet into many tiny logical subnets (to avoid ratware propagation) they're still essentially one layer-2 vlan as far as the switches know, and the DHCP request/response happens at layer-2 regardless of what CCA says.

That has been our biggest headache so far this year, but hopefully will go away once they're settled down.

Jeff Kell
IT Security