[unisog] OT - e-mail for students

Ken Connelly Ken.Connelly at uni.edu
Fri Sep 2 20:46:02 GMT 2005

Slightly off-topic, but please pass this on to a relevant mail admin if
you think appropriate.

We're a mid-sized .edu (~13,000 students) and are looking for doing
something with their e-mail to improve performance and appeal.  Students
as a group seem to think a web-based client is the only way to deal with
their e-mail.  I disagree, but that's why I'm asking...

I'm looking for experiences, good or bad, of admins who have done
student e-mail on a unix platform with a web-based client as the primary
(or even only) access to the mail.  We need reasonable performance and a
somewhat featureful client (folders on server, easily distinguish
seen/unseen messages, etc.)  If you can share what you've done in this
vein that was successful, great.  Or if you can give pointers as to
things to avoid, that would be appreciated as well.

Answer directly if you (and the list moderators?) prefer.  Thanks!

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly Systems and Operations Manager, ITS Network Services
email: Ken.Connelly at uni.edu
phone: (319) 273-5850   fax: (319) 273-7373

It's much more important to know what you don't know than what you do know!