[unisog] OT - e-mail for students

Chris Green cmgreen at uab.edu
Fri Sep 2 21:22:22 GMT 2005

On 9/2/05 3:46 PM, "Ken Connelly" <Ken.Connelly at uni.edu> wrote:

> We're a mid-sized .edu (~13,000 students) and are looking for doing
> something with their e-mail to improve performance and appeal.  Students
> as a group seem to think a web-based client is the only way to deal with
> their e-mail.  I disagree, but that's why I'm asking...

Back in the early Eudora (1.5.4) days, we gave instructions on carrying
around a floppy disk to labs to store their mailbox.  As you can imagine, as
soon as hotmail showed up, people started using web mail accounts and not a
lot of our resources.  When we started providing web-based email, it's much
easier to rely on students checking their university email account.

TLS/SMTP with authentication, TLS/POP3, TLS/IMAP, and webmail over SSL are
the services I'd move towards for students. Making sure that there was a
good way to filter spam and folders are important as well.  A way for people
to write rules to automatically filter on the server is a nice bonus for
webmail, but most people use client side rules if they do it at all.
--
Chris Green
UAB Data Security, 5-0842