[unisog] OT - e-mail for students

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Sep 2 21:23:13 GMT 2005

Peter Van Epp wrote:
> 	We are around 20,000 FTE (some 45,000 accounts total) and have shell
> access for sensible people to read mail, as well as POP, IMAP and webmail
> (which I think sucks the big one). The students overwhelmingly vote for web
> mail (staff are more usually POP on their desktop machine).

> On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 03:46:02PM -0500, Ken Connelly wrote:
>>We're a mid-sized .edu (~13,000 students) and are looking for doing
>>something with their e-mail to improve performance and appeal.  Students
>>as a group seem to think a web-based client is the only way to deal with
>>their e-mail.  I disagree, but that's why I'm asking...

We have ~15,000 mailboxes (faculty, staff, students, listserv).  We have evolved from Solaris, sendmail, pine, and Eudora into the current Novell Netmail with POP/IMAP/web services open.  It has worked exceptionally well (or I should say exceptionally 'better than it was').  Students are predominantly using [NetMail's] webmail, faculty/staff split among Eudora [dominant], Netscape, Mozilla/Thunderbird, and Outlook [Express].  The upper management is on a separate box with full-blown Outlook/Exchange [*cough*].  We're almost up to single-signon and generally happy campers for now, but it may be short lived.  The state is [in the process of] mandating Exchange for all faculty/staff, and kicking the idea around of including students too.  [No Comment :-)]

Jeff