[unisog] DNS troubles

Cal Frye cjf at calfrye.com
Fri Sep 16 13:45:32 GMT 2005

We're starting to have problems this week with off-campus folks seeing temporary
inability to resolve some of our servers. Duration of the outage is half an hour
to an hour or two, as far as we can tell. Limited testing suggests that pointing
 to different name servers can fix the problem, sometimes not. At least Verizon
and Cox customers have been affected.

We'd like to rule out our own gear, firewall, packetshaper, etc. before we go
blaming the ISPs. But is anyone else seeing DNS troubles with off-campus users?
Is cache poisoning on the increase this week? Many thanks for your consideration.

--
--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com

  "I don’t mind if people are Republicans in the privacy of their bedrooms. It’s
just the ones that flaunt it in public, the raging, flaming ones, that give me
the creeps." -- Greg Palast.