[unisog] Intelligent Patch Panels

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Mon Sep 19 17:12:52 GMT 2005

> We have been doing research on intelligent patch panel products  from
> the point of view of security.
> But I am yet to see one which automatically bridges the connections as well.
> Is any one know such intelligent patch panel product which automatically
> connects the ports.

So you want a device that can accept multiple CAT5 (or whatever)
connections, and automatically connect them to the switch based on some CLI?

Sounds like a switch to me ....

Edge gear being as cheap as it is, why not just connect all the ports
the switch? .. unless you've gone *really* overboard (like 8 ports per
room or something), it'd be cheaper and more functional to just have a
switch connected to all of them. Then setup extra VLANS in case you want
to do spans (for monitoring) -- even the cheap-o edge cisco boxes let
you setup 2 monitor sessions (each can snoop multiple ports at
simultaneously).

~Mike