[unisog] XP silently configuring ad-hoc wifi networks

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Fri Sep 23 17:23:55 GMT 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:57:06AM -0500, Christopher Chow wrote:
> check out the posting at SANS-ISC that may relate (it refers to AP
> networks, but who knows the activity of this yet to be identified
> pathogen -- could be also making its own adhoc networks to spread under
> the radar and avoid IDS systems
>
> http://isc.sans.org/

Yup - I was actually reading that when I decided to throw the question out
there and see if anyone had more detailed info about the behavior we've been
(allegedly) seeing for a few weeks now.  If there really is a way to convince a
default configuration XP box to associate to a new SSID, that could be a
fantastic vector.

WPI Network Engineer          |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken