[unisog] XP silently configuring ad-hoc wifi

z./(--)\.s bhx3 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 00:30:06 GMT 2005

Although this hasn't hit any of the major news sites
out there (it was mentioned on SANS' Internet Storm
Center a few days ago -
http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2005-09-23), it's
been going around the rumor mill that there's a
wireless worm out there that's attacking unpatched XP
machines and reconfiguring them as ad-hoc wireless
zombies. afaik this has only been noticed on the east
coast but I'm not in the states so I can't confirm.
Check out preliminary details and a packetdump:

details:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/lj2600/79996.html
http://www.hacksrus.com/~recompiler/aec_le/
http://www.livejournal.com/community/infosec/47702.html

packetdumps:
http://www.hacksrus.com/~recompiler/aec_le/dump2aec

The packet dump doesn't seem to contain any
illegitimate data, but if you're having similar issues
maybe contributing to the conversation would be
useful.

~Angel