[unisog] 802.1x

Cary, Kim Kim.Cary at pepperdine.edu
Tue Sep 27 20:35:06 GMT 2005

We're looking at 802.1x as a standard for wired connections in our
network renewal. We want to know who is attaching to our net. We're
early in our discussions with Cisco on their implementation. I'd be
interested in this topic and any responses that come back to the net.

As to extending via 'hubs' its pretty easy to stop hubs (802.1x or not)
by enabling the multiple MAC prevention feature on your switch. Our more
recent gear has a timeout associated with the feature. With a reasonable
timeout, for example 60 seconds, two computers on a hub will cause the
port to drop traffic for the 'second' MAC address, but not prevent, say,
two student laptops in different classes scheduled back-to-back in the
same lecture hall from using the same port during each class session.