[unisog] 802.1x

Allen Mundt allenatwork at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 27 21:21:53 GMT 2005

We have looked at this briefly ourselves - and also in the Cisco realm.  I
think you have hinted at the low end, and least workstation-invasive
implementation, which is to filter by MAC.  There are several other levels.
At the higher end of the spectrum, a device agent (little piece of SW that
sits on the workstation) is required.  When you get that level of control,
you can actually scan for absence or presence of required or prohibited
software.  Not overly practical in a higher education environment, but may
work in the office areas, depending on how your networks are segmented.

Its been a while since we have checked, but in the Cisco area, I think this
may be still evolving, and 'not quite ready for prime time'.

Allen

Allen Mundt

"Remember that if the opportunities for great deeds should never come,
     the opportunities for good deeds are renewed day by day. The thing
         for us to long for is the goodness, not the glory."
              -- F.W. Faber