[unisog] c6500 & ssh keys

Alan Amesbury amesbury at oitsec.umn.edu
Thu Apr 20 21:16:00 GMT 2006

Doug Payne wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that's not supported. From the IOS 'Configuring SSH' manual:
>
> "RSA authentication available in SSH clients is not supported in the SSH
> server for Cisco IOS software."
[snip]

Although I don't get my hands on our 6500s here very often (which is OK
with me, since they have a tendency to break when I touch 'em), I think
you're correct.  However, I don't understand Cisco's apparent lack of
interest in putting such functionality into their product.  I know for a
fact that such features were requested when I was working in the
commercial sector in a previous life, and the argument against it was
that they had to trim functionality to save space.  Of course, that was
before I heard they were implementing a Tcl interpreter.....

--
Alan Amesbury
University of Minnesota