[unisog] OT: Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

H. Morrow Long morrow.long at yale.edu
Mon Apr 24 00:29:40 GMT 2006

An article last summer when the Seagate 5400 with FDE (Full Disk
Encryption)
came out says that they use Triple DES (to which some periodically
ascribe 192
bit encryption to):  http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,
121522,00.asp

The Seagate data sheet on the Momentus 5400 FDE says the encryption is
TDEA 192 bit (which I'd take to be Triple Data Encryption Algorithm
aka Triple DES):
www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/marketing/PO-Momentus-FDE.pdf

There are RSA symmetric algorithms with variable key bit lengths
(such as RC5)
but this 2.5 inch drive doesn't appear to use them (nor does it use
AES apparently --
the drive has crypto logic built in, I don't know if there is
upgradable firmware or
if there has been a follow-on product).

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM, CEH
   University Information Security Officer