[unisog] OT: Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

Saqib Ali docbook.xml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 03:57:15 GMT 2006

> I don't read Japanese, so I'm relying on your description above.
> However, I'm pretty sure that 192-bit RSA keys are ridiculously weak.
> Perhaps that's supposed to be 192-bit AES?

I thought about that too. 192-bit seems pretty low for a asynchronous
crypto. But here is what the article says:

"It uses an algorithm that is based on RSA (Rivest, Shamir, Adleman).
It has a 192-bit key."

But a presentation from THIC by Dr. Dave Anderson of Seagate says that
the HDD uses:
- 3DES symmetric encryption
- Random number generated by FDE in factory
- 192 bits
- Not stored in clear on the drive
See: http://www.thic.org/pdf/Feb06/seagate.danderson.060228.pdf

So maybe the the Japanese artikle mis-state the fact.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net

Don't leave your confidential company and customer records un-protected.
Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprise(TM) for 30 days for FREE with no
obligation. See why so many companies trust Spy Sweeper Enterprise to
eradicate spyware from their networks.
FREE 30-Day Trial of Spy Sweeper Enterprise

http://www.webroot.com/forms/enterprise_lead.php