[unisog] OT: Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

Saqib Ali docbook.xml at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 02:04:35 GMT 2006

On 4/27/06, hermit921 <hermit921 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I must be missing something.  If I take that drive, attach to another
> computer running a different operating system, how is the disk
> protected?  There is no boot process involved.

If you take the FDE drive to a different computer and do not supply
the password to decrypt, then simply you wount be able to decipher the
data. You will the encrypted bit not any useful data.

> upgraded firmware or the motherboard failed.  And they say the key is on
> the disk, but that means accessing the disk to get the key to decrypt the
> disk to access the disk...
I don't think that means that the symmteric key is physically stored
on a disc platter. It could be in a temper-proof chip that is part of
the drive. Much like onetime password token, that has a biometric
reader, and displays the OTP only when you swipe your finger on it.
But I could be wrong about this.....

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net