[unisog] OT: Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Apr 28 07:02:02 GMT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:50:42 CDT, Cosmin Stejerean said:

> by not accessible to anyone else). Before the board will allow you to
> access the drive it will prompt you for the password, decrypt the key
> and only then allow reads and writes to be performed on the drive.

The board prompts me, how, exactly?  Note that the boot sector on this
laptop's hard drive was put there by Grub so I can boot Linux..  This
limits the interaction options a bit.  Also, note that the people who
have suggested boot-sector programs that prompt have forgotten that
some computers have non-boot drives...

> This is very similar to the way hard drive passwords work today (most
> recent notebooks have the ability to password protect a hard drive so

I do believe this is implemented totally in the BIOS, the same way the
BIOS password itself is implemented.  You don't enter the right password,
the BIOS routes the disk's IRQ to Zimbabwe. ;)