[unisog] PlanetLab

Matt Johnson mwj at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 10:15:27 GMT 2006

Hi folks,

Can anyone on this list tell me about their experiences with PlanetLab?

We have a new faculty member keen to have our university join PlanetLab,
but from what he has told me it sounds a bit like an IT security
nightmare:

  - local administrators do not have root on the systems they configure
for PlanetLab
  - basically arbitrary code is run on the system, including anonymous
web proxies and software which captures network packets
  - that local administrators cannot find out who is running what on
their machine at any given time (that this kind of request has to go
through a 'slice administrator' or something like that)...

So -- does anyone have practical experience of operating PlanetLab
nodes, good or bad?

Thanks

Matt