[unisog] email problem primer

hermit921 hermit921 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 21:19:50 GMT 2006

I have been asked to write a simple document for analyzing email
problems.  This will not be given to PC support staff who know almost
nothing about email.  I know it will need to include:
1. how to determine who sent the message
2. how to determine who should have received the message
3. read a returned error message and figure out what it means
4. look at the headers and figure out what mail servers were involved and when

It will not include looking at mail logs.  It will not be mail client specific.

Does anyone have such a document already?

Thanks,
Neil