[unisog] Windows Encrypted File System (EFS)

Stejerean, Cosmin cosmin at cti.depaul.edu
Thu Feb 9 21:55:32 GMT 2006

EFS is meant to encrypt files while on the drive (so if the laptop is
stolen nobody will be able to get the files) and while it is far from
perfect it would have helped in the recent cases in the news when
laptops of bank employees were stolen.

EFS will not encrypt files once the files on USB drives, FTP, email etc
(the name is Encrypted File System). If you need to send encrypted files
you can look at PGP or other solutions for encrypting files.

I see EFS as an addition to ACLs, since ACLs may fail and reveal
sensitive information. EFS ensures that in the event ACLs do fail the
data remains useless. However without a proper implementation EFS can
bite (recovery agents, password changes, etc).

For a free solution that works cross-platform as well I recommend
TrueCrypt. It can create encrypted volumes within files or encrypt
entire volumes and you can choose to only mount them when necessary.

Regards,

Cosmin Stejerean