[unisog] Windows Encrypted File System (EFS)

Jim Dillon Jim.Dillon at cusys.edu
Fri Feb 10 00:05:05 GMT 2006

In addition to the problems you are seeing correctly, I had a lot of
trouble with EFS when using batch commands to manipulate directories.
Failures were not always noticed or verbose, and in fact often just
stopped the batch process, leaving the encryption state as something you
could guess at.  How much was encrypted.  I also found when I was
cleaning up from it that some drives and files that should have been
encrypted weren't, and vice versa.  I lost some data as I didn't keep a
key when I thought I'd removed the encryption.

I'm not a fan.  Hard to work with, not always clear that it works, not
trustworthy for consistent encryption in my book.

I'm trying out Kensington's PC Key at the moment - it encrypts
everything supposedly, but when logging on under a different account
(not the account I encrypted under, a different local admin account) I'm
finding some directory trees partially encrypted, some not, and a bunch
of unusual states.  Since you still have to have the key to authenticate
even as another user, I'm having trouble analyzing or predicting the
algorithm and the actual state of the drive.

Like you I expect, I want an always on encryption solution that protects
the drive from tampering.

Note that other things like compression (WinZip and the like as well)
don't function well on an encrypted volume!

Jim

Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP
IT Audit Manager, CU Internal Audit
jim.dillon at cusys.edu