[unisog] Recording IM conversations/mapping users to IM

Harris, Michael C. HarrisMC at health.missouri.edu
Fri Feb 10 14:25:51 GMT 2006

I don't know if this has been raised on this forum regarding IM content, but think it has for e-mail and VoIP.

Be sure you have full institutional policy, procedure and legal buy in for the recording of IM content.

Discussions I have had with our Missouri Attorney's General Office indicate It may be considered an improper wire tap, especially if you are not disclosing to users that their IM may be recorded & monitored. (e-mail, VoIP etc. other network traffic too)

Good policy , sign on banners and signed acceptable use documents protect you as much as they protect users.  Make sure these documents contain detailed language that includes the conditions under which you may be recording traffic such as for diagnostic or archival purposes.

Mike

Michael C. Harris
System Security Analyst & Instructor
University Of Missouri Health Care