[unisog] Google Desktop (v4)

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Fri Feb 10 19:09:40 GMT 2006

By now, I'm sure we've all had a restless night over the latest Google
Desktop. Particularly the "access my documents from anywhere" feature
(meaning copies are stored on Google's servers and indexed there).

EFF article : http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2006_02.php#004400

Clearly, this has *huge* implications for HIPAA and FERPA.

Since I haven't seen any writeups on the latest version of this, I'm
actively "infecting" computers with it to see if I can come up with an
effective block strategy.

Before I re-invent the wheel on this one, has anyone else (that's not
using a proxy) come up with a good way to ban this network-wide?

I was hoping that resolving *desktop.google.com to localhost would work
.. but I don't hold a lot of hope.

Regards,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University